Two Cs capture the essence of today’s world: competition and commerce. A key benchmark of both of these is intellectual property which today has become a crucial diver of economic growth.
The value of intellectual property rights depends on the cost incurred in creating intellectual property assets and the magnitude of knowledge & information generated and disseminated for commercial activities.
India enjoys a large asset of R & D personnel and infrastructure facilities. To bridge the gap between the research outcome and its use for the benefit of the stakeholders, scientists and policymakers need information and facilities for protecting their research. As a step in this direction, Department of Biotechnology established a “Biotechnology Patent Facilitation Cell (BPFC)” in July 1999.
The cell provides a single window awareness-cum-facilitation mechanism to create awareness and understanding about Intellectual Property Rights among the scientists and researchers.
Its objectives are
- Creating awareness and understanding among the biologists and biotechnologists relating to patents and the challenges and opportunities in this area. Arranging workshops, seminars, conferences and so on at all levels.
- Introducing patent information as a vital input in the process of promotion of R & D programmes in biotechnology and biology.
- Providing patenting facilities to the Biologists and Biotechnologists in the country for filing Indian and foreign patent applications on a sustained basis
- Keeping a watch on development in the area of IPRs and bring important issues to the attention of policy makers, scientists, biotech industries etc.
- Flow chart for processing of an application
- Patent Applications Filed/Patents Granted (2007-08 to 2011-12)
- Patents Granted Year 2012-2013 to 2014-2015
Contacts Concerned Officer for more information
|Programme Head||Dr. S. R. Rao,Scientist H|
|Address||Head, Biotechnology Patent Facilitation Cell Department of Biotechnology Block 2, C. G. O. Complex Lodhi Road, New Delhi- 110 003|
|Program Officer||Dr. M. Rajlaxmi, Scientist F|
|1||Patent Application Form||Download (21.91 KB)|