Biomedical Engineering and Biodesign (Devices, Diagnostics and Implants)
The Department of Biotechnology has identified “Biomedical Engineering” as one of its thrust areas. This is a multi-disciplinary field of research which involves application of engineering techniques for basic understandings and development of innovative technologies for improved quality of life. The overall aim is to foster and support innovative ideas in fields of biomaterials for various therapeutic/biomedical applications; bio-medical devices, implants & bioinstrumentation; bio-medical sensors; bio-imaging for improved diagnostics/existing medical equipment; tissue engineering and other allied areas for development of affordable healthcare products.
Innovation is the key to address the unmet clinical needs. The demand for medical devices and implants is growing rapidly globally as well as in India. Innovation in medical technologies for developing solutions for local problems is the need of the hour. In the country like India, we need solutions that are affordable, simple, robust, reliable and flexible enough to work in small towns, clinics and government health centres. Realising the need to foster and promote development of indigenous affordable medical technologies, DBT has taken initiatives to implement med-tech innovation biodesign programmes and building capacity for innovative research, prototyping, validation and testing of medical technologies. This includes: School of International Biodesign (SIB) programme; Healthcare Technology Innovation Centre, IIT-M; Centre for Bioscience and Bioengineering, IISc., Bangalore; and Centre for Biodesign, Translational Health Science & Technological Institute, Faridabad.
The overall focus is on invention and early-stage development of affordable implants and devices for the country. The Objectives of Biodesign include:
- To twin medical colleges and engineering institutes for promoting innovation through multi-disciplinary approach with international partnership;
- To provide hands-on-training to med-tech innovators in biodesign process for need identification through clinical immersion for developing affordable novel medical technologies focused on implants, devices and diagnostics;
- To create readily accessible processes and facilities to support the entire innovation process i.e. need design, provisional product profile, technical market scrutiny, prototype validation, product development, product evaluation and enterprise creation in a service model;
- Form an effective network of biologists, engineers, clinicians, and medical technology person for “design process” focusing on technology development;
- Enhance industry participation for scale-up of technology transfer and commercialisation;
- Establish linkages with other national an international partners;
Journey so far
Contacts Concerned Officer for more information
|Programme Head||Dr. Alka Sharma,Scientist G|
|Address||Scientist G/Adviser, Medical Biotechnology Division R. No. 805, Department of Biotechnology Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India, Block 2, C.G.O. Complex, Lodi Road, New Delhi – 110003|
|Programme Officer||Dr. Kalaivani Ganesan, Scientist E|