Punjab Biotechnology Incubator, Mohali, Punjab
Punjab Biotechnology Incubator (PBTI) was established jointly by Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India (GoI) and Department of Science, Technology and Environment, Govt. of Punjab (GoP) at a total cost of Rs. 1097/- lacs on 70:30 sharing basis in the year 2005. PBTI, the first Biotechnology Incubator funded in Punjab, started its operations as a registered society. The State-of-the-art analytical facilities were made operational in 2007 from transit premises in SAS Nagar (Mohali). The project was initially sanctioned for a period of three (03) years which was extended for another two (02) years till March, 2010. Thereafter, Govt. of Punjab is providing financial support and has allocated 1 acre land to PBTI in Knowledge City, Sector 81, SAS Nagar (Mohali) in 2014 to build up its own infrastructure. In Knowledge city, PBTI is a part of Agri-Food Biotechnology cluster with National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute (NABI), Center of Innovative and Applied Bioprocessing (CIAB) and Biotechnology Park as the sister components. The other National level institutes located in the Knowledge City include Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Institute of Nano Science and Technology (INST) and Indian School of Business (ISB).
The non availability of own building had never been a deterrent in the growth of PBTI. Starting its operations from mere 3500 sq.ft. area in 2007, with continuous efforts of its dedicated team of Scientists, it could expand 4-folds. In own building expansion of existing activities & setting up of new facilities is planned in an area of approx 60,000 sq.ft. The upcoming set-up includes the provision for plug & play kind of incubation area for entrepreneurs/start-ups; in addition to analytical facilities, trainings infrastructure & contractual research facilities.
Over the period of time, PBTI, due to its credibility in Food & Environment sectors could attract funding of Rs 14 crores from different Ministries of Govt. of India for strengthening of its facilities from time to time. PBTI took the lead in the country by setting up independent Honey Authenticity testing facilities, as a part of comprehensive Analytical facilities for Agri-Food & Environment sectors under one roof. Looking at the biotechnological strengths of PBTI Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, GoI Notified it as National Referral Laboratory (NRL) for LMO/GMO detection under Seeds Act PBTI’s world class facilities in transit premises include the following services for Agri-Food & Environment sectors.
- Analytical Services
- Contractual Research Services
- Capacity Building Services
- Project Management Consultancy/Advisory Services
Since its inception, PBTI’s facilities have been accredited / recognized/ approved by following National / State Level authorities:
- National Accreditation Board For Testing & Calibration Laboratories (NABL) since 2009
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) since 2010
- Notified under section 43(1) of Food Safety and Standards Act 2006 since 2011 and approved for notification as Referral Laboratory under section 43(2) of Food Safety and Standards Act 2006 in 2018 by Food Safety & Standard Authority (FSSAI).Also provisionally approved for notification as National Reference Laboratory by FSSAI
- Notified as State Water Laboratory under Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act 1974 by Govt. of Punjab since 2009.
- Punjab Pollution Control Board (PPCB) since 2010.
- Notified as Environment Laboratory under Environment Protection Act (EPA)1986 by Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) since 2010
- Recognized as Scientific & Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by Department Of Scientific And Industrial Research (DSIR) since 2006;
- Agricultural & Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) since 2014
- Export Inspection Council (EIC) since 2015
- Notified as National Referral Laboratory (NRL) for LMO/GMO detection by Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare,GoI under Seeds Act 1966 since 2017
- Approved as Programme Study Centre for PG Diploma in Food Safety & Quality Management by IGNOU since 2014.
- At present more than 1200 users including Multinational Companies, State Cooperatives, Govt. organizations, Entrepreneurs, Exporters and Marketers from Agri, Food, and Environment biotechnology sector are using the services of PBTI. Hands on trainings are being conducted for International as well as National participants in collaboration with concerned Ministries. PBTI has executed various consultancy projects including technical, advisory and research consultancy projects in Agri, food & Environment sectors. PBTI has also started providing services to Pharma sector.
The location of PBTI in Mohali with excellent rail, road and air connectivity with other parts of the country has made it the choicest destination for Stakeholders in Northern region of India to meet their analytical & Research requirements. With the construction of its own building which is likely to start shortly, PBTI shall be able to provide its services in more efficient & comprehensive manner.